Back     Home     Forums     Chat     Search     Site map     Print this page  
On Track On Line - Trip Report Menu

Trip Report

Kansas City, MO-Chicago Round Trip

May 20-21, 2005


Click small photos to see larger; all larger photos are less than 31K


It had been about 5 years since I had last ridden Amtrak (or any other train for that matter), before I moved from South Bend, Indiana to Kansas City, Missouri. So I figured my time was long overdue, hence the purpose of this weekend trip to Chicago in May, 2005.

Friday, May 20, 2005

The old Kansas City Zephyr schedule at Kansas City Union Station I arrived at Kansas City Union Station that morning at around 6:30 in the morning. I had purchased tickets for coach, but a couple days earlier I received a call from Amtrak, asking me if I would like to upgrade my reservation to a First Class sleeping compartment. After a little consideration, I kindly turned down their offer, thinking paying for my meals would be more cost effective than paying an extra $75 each way for a sleeping compartment that I would never really need.

Amtrak advised me that Train #4, the eastbound Southwest Chief, was running about 45-60 minutes late going into Kansas the previous evening, but still predicted an on time arrival into Kansas City at 7:30. No problem, I decided. Only more time to allow me to enjoy railfanning at the station while waiting. It turned out the Chief was still running about a half hour late, and wouldn't pull in to KCUS until around 8 am. My only regret to this was I wanted to photograph the departure of the other Kansas City train, the Ann Rutledge, as it pulled out en route to St. Louis and Chicago. Unfortunately only passengers for that train were allowed on the platform, so I had no choice but to stay in the waiting from for the Chief's arrival.

Train 4 finally pulled into KCUS a little after 8 am, and after getting my coach seat assignment I immediately proceeded to the Sightseer Lounge Car to find a choice spot to set up my video and photo equipment. This would turn out to be a mistake on my part, which I will point out later. After getting set up I reached in my bag grab my Burlington Northern Santa Fe timetables, along with the scanner radio frequencies for that route, when I suddenly realized: Darn! I had forgotten to pick them up off my desk that morning! Fortunately my scanner has all railroad frequencies preprogrammed in its search mode, so finding them manually wouldn't be too much of a problem.

At about 8:15 Train 4 departed Kansas City, still about 30 minutes behind schedule. At the same time hunger pangs started to hit me, so I proceeded up to the dining car to take in some breakfast. This was my first experience with Amtrak's standardized menu, but it was far from a disappointment with my order of French Toast, bacon and orange juice (recommended in a trip report from another OTOL member!).

Fort Madison, IA depot The remainder of my trip to Chicago was spent pretty much in the Lounge Car, shooting video and snapping pictures whenever the opportunity arrised, as well as taking in the sights and sounds of fellow travelers. I was somewhat surprised to see quite a few Amish people on board, but then I realized... With their distaste of modern technology, how else would they be able to travel across the country? Surely their customary horse and buggy would not do for such a trip!

The Mississippi River Bridge at Fort Madison, IA Somewhere between Galesburg and Mendota, Illinois I got a text message on my cell phone from a railfan buddy of mine, who happens to be a locomotive engineer for Norfolk Southern out of Elkhart, Indiana. Originally we were planning on getting together upon my arrival in Chicago, but unfortunately his message was not good news: He was called in to work that evening, and there would be no time for us to see each other as planned. Fortunately I had a contingency plan for such a situation, so it wouldn't be too big a loss for me.

After departing Naperville, the lead service attendant came through advising everyone that we were about to arrive into Chicago, and for everyone to return to their seats. Returning to my seat, I was met with an unexpected surprise: My seat was given away to another passenger! After a little discussion with other nearby passengers, I realized my mistake: When I got on in Kansas City, I didn't wait in my seat long enough to be given a seat check, so the car attendant assumed my seat was still vacant. Will have to make a mental note next time to be a little more patient before leaving my seat.

We finally pulled into Chicago Union Station at around 4 pm, about 40 minutes behind the scheduled arrival time. It would be almost 24 hours before my scheduled return to Kansas City on the westbound Chief, so I had that much time to kill with my backup plan of railfanning and riding. Since this does not include Amtrak in any way, I will leave out the details here, but if anyone is interested in hearing more please feel free to

Saturday, May 21, 2005

Train #3, the westbound Southwest Chief, had a scheduled departure from Chicago at 3:15 pm, and the general boarding call was made exactly at 3. After a quick look at the train consist, I realized this was the exact same train that brought me to Chicago the previous day! My seat was assigned in the very last coach, just ahead of the material handling cars on the rear end. But this would be the least of my problems to be experienced. As soon as I took my seat, the seat next to me was taken by a somewhat older lady, very, very much intoxicated. She gave off a foul odor of whiskey for at least 3 feet around her. To make matters worse, she had sneaked an extra bottle on board with her, and every swig she took made her speak even louder and more vulgar to me and everyone else around her. Especially to the conductor when he came to collect tickets, and she was unable to find hers right away. He informed her that she would not be allowed to go any further than Naperville unless she produced her ticket, which she finally found, to the disappointment of myself and the others. A few minutes later the Lounge Car finally opened for business, so I was finally able to break away from this nutcase until dinnertime.

Old Chicago Burlington & Quincy steam locomotive at Mendota, IL When we departed Mendota the car attendant assigned to my car called the conductor to her car over the PA, where I suspected the drunken lady was causing trouble again. My suspicions were correct when over the scanner I heard the engineer contact the dispatcher and request the police meet us at Galesburg, where they will have to eject an unruly passenger. I wouldn't get the chance to see this for myself, since it was now 5:30 and it was time to make my way to the diner for dinner. Again, I was more than satisfied with the evening entree of seared catfish, mashed potatoes, carrots and vegetable medley, with a side salad and dinner roll. My dinner mates, one en route to Flagstaff and the other to Los Angeles, agreed about their own meals.

The ambulance to meet our detraining passenger at Galesburg, IL During the meal we pulled into Galesburg, where the city's finest were waiting, along with the Fire Department and a waiting ambulance. The police and paramedics boarded the train, and a few minutes later reemerged with that same lady on a gurney, the police keeping her arms restrained. From my vantage point I could see her screaming her head off, but thankfully I could not hear what she was saying.

La Plata, MO Depot After dinner I returned to my now much quieter and happier coach, and laid back to sleep off my dinner. I woke some time later close to La Plata, Missouri, two hours east of Kansas City. At that time the coach attendant regaled me with the ejection of that lady passenger. Apparently she discovered the lady's stashed bottle of whiskey when the police boarded the train and confiscated it. The lady then became enraged and started swinging at the attendant. According to the other passengers, this coach attendant, a 4-foot-10, 110-pound woman, blocked the blows and managed to put the lady in a headlock while the police restrained her. Upon hearing this, I quipped in asking the attendant to remind me to stay on her good side! The intoxicated lady was pretty much the story of the train for the remainder of my trip to Kansas City, where the Chief arrived on time at 10:15. As I detrained, I snapped one final picture of the train, and bid adieu to the Southwest Chief after a fun, exciting and very eventful weekend; One that I will not soon forget.

On Track On Line - Copyright © 2003-2017 David Warner, Harry Sutton, & Alan Burden Back     Home     Top